March 2021 Business Meeting Minutes – Draft

View PDF

  1. Call to Order

The regular meeting of the Libertarian Party of Brevard County, Fl. was called to order at 6:11 PM on March 17th, 2021 at Carrabba’s Italian Grill by Chair – Brian Fleming

  • Present:

Executive Committee: Brian Fleming –Chair, Mari Peele -Vice-Chair, Greg Peele – Treasurer, Rick Heffelfinger –Secretary, Nathan Slusher -Director-At-Large

Voting Members: Hannah Tomboulides

Visitor: Kevin Ratzel

  • Determination of Quorum (75% of Executive Committee or 25% of all voting members)

Quorum was met

  • Approval and Adoption of Agenda

A motion to adopt the agenda was made. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.

  • Guest Speaker

None

  • Approval of the Minutes

A motion to approve the minutes from the February 17, 2021 business meetings was made. The motion was seconded and passed without objection.

  • Officer Reports

Chair:

  • There will be a Region 9 meeting in Orlando on April 16th The Chair and Vice chair from each county (Orange, Brevard, Osceola, and Seminole) are being asked to attend. The objective of the meeting is to facilitate the sharing of information among the county affiliates. Of particular interest to Brevard county is information and insight sharing and promoting the election of Libertarian candidates in county and city governments and best/most effective ways of reaching LP voters.
    • The Florida Convention will be held 11-13 June. Carpooling is an option. The Chair will be spending the night there prior to the start. The Chair is on the convention committee and is working with the committee to get the specifics worked out.
    • The Chair welcomed fellow Libertarian Kevin Ratzel to his first meeting with us. Kevin is also very interested in working to get Libertarians elected to positions in local government.

Vice Chair:

  • Web site admin info was scrubbed to remove access from legacy users.
    • The old subscribe list containing emails was captured and saved. Valid emails captured from the old subscribe list will be passed on to the Secretary to be added to Mailchimp.

Treasurer:

  • Since we now have access to all accounts, the treasurer provided his first official treasury report. Since the beginning of the calendar year we have received $215 in donations
    • $125 through PalPal via two recurring donors. Greg put out a big thanks to George Lebowitz as a long term donor.
    • $40 cash from last meeting
    • $50 check
    • Expenses
      • $20.15 banking/credit card fees
    • Total assets
      • $1401.71
      • $429.35 at PNC
      • $972. Paypal. $500 was moved to PNC to prevent low balance charges for dropping below the $500 minimum.
    • Liabilities
      • $72 to Secretary for annual PO Box rental
    • Reports due end of the month
      • 2020 annual audit due March 31st to SOE and State party. SOE has requested hand delivery to Viera.
      • 2121 1st quarter campaign report due April 10th electronically
      • The reports can have errors but must never be late or risk a penalty.
    • Other
      • Worked with previous chair John Olivadoti and the Chair and Treasurer are signatories on the PNC account.
      • Mailing address has been updated to PO Box.
      • Checks were ordered and should arrive by the end of the month.
      • After the debit card is obtained (tomorrow), on-line banking can be established.
      • Bank statements will always be available in hard copy for inspection at the monthly meeting.
      • Documentation will need to be submitted to put name on Paypal.
      • All activity is being managed using an open source ledger software.
    • Decision was made at the meeting to keep some money ($100 to $200) in Paypal in the event a need or desire to pay from there occurs.
    • Goals for next month
      • Finish PNC setup and get checks
      • Setup on-line banking
      • Finish validating transactions
      • Submit all necessary reports
      • New action to setup Stripe and test with Chair and Vice Chair
      • Create receipts with branding to bring to future meetings
      • Start pricing out web hosting solutions to be ready to switch from the LPF provider if the need arises. A task was created for this activity. The Treasurer and the Vice Chair  will work on it together.
      • Old checks will be blacklisted after on-line access is achieved.
    • Sample audit provided and passed around for inspection

Secretary:

  • Secured a  PO box
    • Keys are held by the Secretary and Treasurer
    • PO box provided to SOE but the SOE webpage has not yet been updated to reflect it.
    • Attendance spreadsheet provided this meeting and future meetings to track voting eligibility.
    • Attendance spreadsheet and Mailchimp exports will be placed on the Gdrive as necessary and provided in hardcopy to all members of the EC at the monthly meetings

Director-At-Large:

  • Visited 6 companies to quote/discuss branding items. Prices are high – I.E. $190 for a flag. Several have decent prices but must do bulk orders.
    • There will be a Titusville city council meeting on April 19th. The Director at large and Chair will be attending. The Director at large voiced a desire to get more people to act as backups to attend meetings. Titusville is closed to non-residents. They required address and sign in. Kevin Ratzel stated that the Melbourne meeting is open to all and they livestream and provide on-line copies
    • The Chair stated that in the future we desire to do more activism such as attending meetings and using those meetings to engage with others and spread the Libertarian word.
    • Director at large recommended we go to a BCC meeting as a party and school board as well but do it in a coordinated and planned way.
      • Secretary took action to look for the BCC schedule. Director at large will work Titusville and Kevin Ratzel will work Melbourne. Secretary took an action to place these dates up on our web page calendar
  • Unfinished Business:
    • Treasurer did an analysis of our amended constitution and Bylaws against LPF and Florida law to make sure we are compliant. We have some issues but none that prevent this revision. Three sections not covered primarily deal with candidates. Additions/corrections will be made in the coming months to fill in the holes.
    • Motion to approve revised Bylaws and Constitution was passed.
  • New Business:
    • Motion to increase venue cap
      • Motion was passed
    • Fund raising for shirts
      • Conversation turned into a general discussion of what we are fundraising for. Shirts was an attempt to offer branding recognition for attending public events.
      • Vice Chair  suggested we pick  three things (IE shirts, web hosting, outreach, etc) and then pick a target goal (amount)
      • Chair identified bulk ordering for shirts would require fundraising and we could get quotes to establish the $ goal to cover it.
      • Vice Chair indicated that fundraising events would be status on the webpage (thermometer concept).
      • It was agreed upon that a fundraiser should wait for stripe setup and have a specific beginning and end.
      • Kevin Ratzel advocated for fundraising for items/expenses that target outreach capability (banners, tent, sponsorship, and attending events (funds to buy a booth).
      • Director at large thinks we are struggling because we have no marketing/branding
      • Chair suggested we get some shirts and wear them. Someone needs to do the research for just getting EC shirts.
      • Secretary took an action item to get the old town Cocoa embroidery place going with the design and get a shirt embroidered as a prototype. Based on this we may turn it into a service that members are charged.
      • Tentatively set a target date for April to have something tangible to put out a fundraising event.
    • Review and sign affiliate document
      • Document was circulated and all signatures obtained
    • Floor motions
      • Director at large proposed a motion to remove article 4 section 4 from our Constitution that requires 2 motion hearings. Director at large will draft a motion to be placed on the agenda for the April meeting.
  • Notice & Announcement
    • Next Mtg Date: April 21, 2021
    • Next Mtg Location: Carrabba’s Italian Grill, Merritt Island, FL.
      •  If within the two week notice period an alternate location is obtained we can do that. Director at large would take action to make reservations with Carrabba’s
    • Next Social Date: TBD
    • Next Social Location: TBD
      • Director at large recommended a IRL thing instead of a beach cleanup because the river is one of our priorities.
      • Chair directed Director at large to coordinate the next social and provide Secretary the details for advertising the event.
  •  Action items
    • Director at large will compose a motion to amend the Constitution and coordinate an IRL social.
    • Treasurer and Vice Chair will work Stripe/Stripe testing and website hosting research/ options
    • Chair will do email list cleanup
    • By May meeting we will have 3 letters decided (Fundraising , Thank you, and Welcome)
  • Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 7:15 PM by Chair – Brian Fleming.

Minutes submitted by: Rick Heffelfinger